Clueless about income inequality in America?

 I recently read an article by Adam Lashinsky that got me thinking. His article on “Seven signs you are clueless about income inequality” was based on Anand Giridharadas who spoke at TED2015 in March 2015 in Vancouver, Canada.

Adam stated that he thought about the entitled life of the TED attendees as he listened to a journalist and author, Anand Giridharadas, who was born in Ohio to Indian immigrant parents, and who the book The True American: Murder and Mercy in Texas.

Adam stated that during this TED talk, Anand summarized the plot of his book and captured the essence of just how badly the haves in this country are failing to grasp the problems of the have-nots.

He did it this by posing seven hypotheticals:

  1. “If you live near a Whole Foods;”

  2. “If no relative of yours serves in the military;”

  3. “If you’re paid by the year, not the hour;”

  4. “If no one you know uses meth;”

  5. “If you married once and remain married;”

  6. “If most people you know finished college;”

  7. “If you aren’t one of the more than 65 million Americans with a criminal record.”

“If any or all of these apply to you, then accept the possibility that you don’t know what’s going on and that you may be part of the problem.”

He stated that the people who fit his description are “probably 20% to 30% of Americans… If you’re a small business owner making $200,000 a year, America is working for you.”

This last statement is what captured my attention “If you’re a small business owner making $200,000 a year, America is working for you.”

Personally, I checked off 4 out of 7 on the list. I started to think “am I really part of the problem?”

I grew up in East Los Angeles to a low income immigrant and I understand the hardship that goes along with that.

I knew that there was a problem with my local junior high when students criticized that I was not wearing a certain brand of shoes and jeans. These are the same students that lived in my neighborhood.

However, I changed schools and went to school with upper and upper-middle class students that accepted me for who I was and not what I had (because I did not have much). These are people that I am still friends with 24 years later. These are friends that are still better off financially than I am, yet, I appreciate them as individuals and they show their love and appreciation to me.

I understand the inequalities that plague America. I also understand that I cannot be a victim to those inequalities. I have worked hard to move out of “the hood” and I continue to work hard to make a difference in the lives of people, as well as, my own.

I have overcome obstacles and will continue to work towards reaching my personal and financial goals.

Does this mean that I don’t understand or don’t care? I think not. I think that I can make a difference others by making a difference in my own life first.

My call to action? Don’t be a victim! Take responsibility and make one change that will begin to change your world.



What's your opinion?

@GMBoutwell