You Look Like You Work


 

Have you ever felt that you were treated a certain why based on how you are dressed? Have you ever assumed somebody's income, job, or values based on their clothes or other attributes? 

This past week, as I took my 80 year old mother to a doctor's appointment, the nurse made the comment, "You look like you work." I was not sure how to take the comment. I was wearing slacks, dress blouse, dress shoes, and a blazer. If I had been wearing a tight, short, red skirt, would she have said the same thing? Or, if I had been wearing jeans and a sweater, would she have assumed I didn't work?  

The comment got me thinking about the perceptions that we all have. Do we admit that we make assumptions about others? 

Frankly, there are times that I do make assumptions or have prejudice thoughts. For example, a financial planner wanted to help me plan my future retirement. My thoughts were, 'if I am going to have somebody invest my money, I want it to be somebody that has a proven track record with being successful with others, as well as themselves.' Why would I trust my money to somebody that is living paycheck-to-paycheck? Yes, I have a prejudice with whomever I will trust with my money. And. yes, I made an assumption that she could not possibly wisely invest my money. 

Was I wrong with my actions? You may think that I was. You may think that somebody more tenured would have helped her. Maybe. For me, this was a situation that I was not willing to do. 

Think about assumptions made every day in our day-to-day. Are we truly giving everybody the benefit of a doubt? Or, are we cautious based on our past experiences and risk levels based on specific situations? 

How would you take the statement, "You look like you work?" What would you say if somebody said that to you? Please share.

What's your opinion?

@GMBoutwell